Wednesday 26 June 2013

Music, friendship and travel!

Week seventeen: 17/06/2013 - 23/06/2013
Cultural Development:


Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus left a lasting legacy. Among many wise words, he once noted that "The summit of happiness is reached when a person is ready to be what he is". During the past four and a half months I have learnt many things about myself; some negative and some positive. However, I truly believe that Erasmus has been one of the best and most worthwhile experiences I have ever done and in some ways Desiderius Erasmus' words ring true; today I know much more about myself and the direction in which I would like my life to follow. 

Performing once again
This week began with a bang, a bang in the form of traditional Irish music! You may remember that some weeks ago Warren and I sang during International week. Well, as some of our teachers thought this was ‘such a success’ it was time to get the guitar out, warm up the vocal chords and do it all again, only many more songs were required this time. Manuela Reif, the Erasmus departments trusted secretary had organized an ‘Irish coffee hour’! Tutors from throughout the college gathered together, drank some coffee and listened to Warren and I perform our songs. I must admit I enjoyed this performance much more than the last. The atmosphere and environment were much less formal and I felt I could relax and just enjoy the music and I believe everyone else did too!


Enjoying the Viennese sunshine...
Wednesday was a very memorable day for Warren and I as we visited the city of Vienna for the first time. When you think of Austria, you think of Vienna and Warren and I had planned a much anticipated day visit to the capital . The fast train from Linz can take you there in under two hours so we had a full day in the blistering heat, to take in the sights that Vienna had to offer. Vienna abounds with beautiful locations and is an ideal-typical European city very similar to London or Paris. One real plus here was the transport system. This is a very compact city and was very easy for us both to negotiate; well to be honest Warren was the man in charge of the map as my sense of direction leaves a lot to be desired! Vienna is referred to by many as a unique onion, with each of the urban layers surrounding the oldest historic center being equally important to the overall flavour of the city. We were both so impressed with the capital, but it is much more than old buildings, which turn Vienna into a city of beauty. The many parks, flowers, trees and even bicycles give this city a unique charm. I would highly recommend this city to anyone and am determined to return one day.

Warren and I taking in the sights of Vienna!

Myself, Kyle and Warren having a ball in Prague...
Saturday morning saw the two of us, along side our good South-African friend Kyle Jackson pay a visit to the famous city of Prague. Prague was always high up in our list of cities to visit. My brother has spent some time there in the past and therefore recommended some great places to see and things to do. A very enjoyable and interesting days sight-seeing led to a party to end all parties. A very reasonable €23 saw us book a place on an exclusive boat cruise along the picturesque river Vltava and gain free entry into central Europe’s largest nightclub which boasts an incredible five floors, yes I repeat five floors! Prague was fantastic and I believe a fitting way to spend our last weekend of the Erasmus Programme.



Bis Spald,

James

References:

  • Rees, F (2006) Desiderius Erasmus: writer and christian humanist, Compass Point Books, Minneapolis.





No comments:

Post a Comment