Wednesday 19 June 2013

Another busy week in Linz!

Week 15: 03/06/2013 - 09/06/2013
Professional Development:


It was the iconic Ernest Hemingway that once said, “It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.” I can reflect on another very busy week here in Linz.  It truly is hard to contemplate that we only have a matter of weeks left in Austria. It is both Warren’s and my aim to make the most of these and pack as much in as we can.

Ebony and Drake
This week I spent a lot of time concentrating on my project for our ‘Making Movies’ module. I have to admit that making movies and all that comes with it has never been of great interest to me. I was one of those people who would happily watch a good movie and give none or very little thought as to how it was made and the equipment used it make it. This somewhat ignorant attitude has gradually changed over the past few weeks. Our project entitled ‘Drake the Vampire’ revolves around two new Erasmus students (who happen to be vampires). ‘Drake’ and ‘Ebony’ are played by myself and fellow Irish friend Terri Dorrity, a very talented actress. The main gist of the story focuses on the Erasmus ethos that everyone is ‘welcome’ and ‘accepted’. Although a somewhat strange storyline, with a bizarre ending, making this short movie has been great fun and a barrel of laughs.  Making the actual movie was not such a difficult task but the hours of editing that come after that can prove challenging. Whilst difficult, I really have enjoyed the editing and the software package provided (Final cut) is fantastic with literally limitless options as to what you can do with your movie. I look forward to finishing this in the next few weeks!

Some members of the International Team at the Padag!
Within the past few weeks the majority of my modules at the Padag have came to an end. I must admit I have thoroughly enjoyed the modules offered to the Erasmus students. We were given the opportunity to take a diverse range of courses, which have all been beneficial in different ways. I feel I have also formed some very strong relationships with some of my tutors; friendships that I hope will last for a long time to come. In the world of education, having international contacts can be very important. Teaching in Austria is not something that I would rule out in the future, with a course or two in German, this is a project that I would like to pursue. 

On a side note, I think it is imperative to mention the devastating floods that occurred this week in Central Europe. The main countries affected; Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia and the Czech Republic saw tens of thousands of people being evacuated from their homes. At least twenty-one flood-related deaths have also been reported with the river Danube, Elbe and the Vltava all overflowing after just five days of heavy rain. Warren and I paid a visit to the Danube yesterday and the water level had risen by a staggering eleven meters. Thankfully no deaths have been reported here in Linz and within the next few days Warren and I are determined to lend our help with the mass cleanup operation that will no doubt be needed.
















These two photographs give you a great insight as to just how much the Danube has risen. The photograph on the left was taken just one month ago. I captured the photograph on the right today, a rise of eleven meters! Fingers crossed the rain eases within the next few days!

Bis Später,

James

References:


  • Boon, K, A, (2008) Ernest Hemingway: The Sun Also Rises and Other Works, Michelle Bisson, China







No comments:

Post a Comment