Tuesday 2 July 2013

Erasmus: changing lives and opening minds...

Week eighteen: 24/06/2013 - 26/06/2013
Conclusion:

It almost feels like an injustice to sum up my Erasmus experience within the next few paragraphs. Lin Yutang once said that "No one realises how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow." I have now been back in Northern Ireland for two days. In many ways it is nice to be home, to see friends and loved ones and share with them the many tales of my travels. However, as I write my final blog entry I can't help but think of Linz and the truly amazing people that I met there. 

A farewell buffet with some amazing friends...

My last few days in Austria were spent getting organised for our return home. It was great to finally get our learning agreements completed with Niels and Christian and I was very pleased to see that I achieved a level 1 in all of my modules. On monday evening some of my friends and I decided to muster up an international buffet and this was one to remember! As this would be our last evening cooking together, we all pushed the boat out and produced some very tasty food. Pictured  to the left are not only some talented chefs but the people that helped to make my experience here so special. Stefan (left) was our student mentor who became a great friend and has recently booked flights to Belfast in August, great! Hakan and Erkan (center) were our neighbours and fellow Erasmus students. Warren and I spent A LOT of time with these two and I genuinely will miss them. Kyle and Klaudio (right) were two other guys that had a big influence on our time here. Kyle played rugby with Warren and I, a very laid back guy with a great sense of humour. Klaudio Beka is someone that I will never forget. Fluent in an amazing six languages, this man is probably the most stylish, cool and sophisticated person I have ever met, oh and he's not a bad hairdresser either!




Warren and I enjoying a final beer...
Tuesday evening was one to remember. After saying our goodbyes to our lecturers and university friends, the remaining Erasmus students had organised a meal in L'Osteria, which is without doubt my favourite restaurant in Linz. This is a restaurant that holds many memories for me. I first came here with the Erasmus crew on my very first night. Since then I have came here with my parents, girlfriend, friends from home, Warren and his sisters. The atmosphere, reasonably priced menu and eighteen inch pizzas make this a superb dining experience and somewhere that will always be a part of my Erasmus memories. 



I still don't think it has sunk it that it is all over. Four and a half months is a long time but truth be told I could've stayed longer. When I first heard about the Erasmus Programme many years ago I promised myself I would do it. However, never in my wildest dreams did I think I would have enjoyed it this much. According to the European Commission's website for the Erasmus Programme, 'a period abroad not only enriches students' lives in the academic and professional fields, but can also improve language learning, intercultural skills, self-reliance and self-awareness.' I definitely agree with all of this, but Erasmus was even more for me! 

Great times at the imposing River Danube...
Living in the heart of central Europe gave me the chance to feel like and become a true European citizen. This programme certainly made me develop an appetite for travel and to learn,  share and develop my teaching skills and abilities. Undertaking a programme like this has definitely broadened my professional and personal horizons; I feel I have benefited educationally, linguistically, socially and culturally in a land which I have been proud to call home for the past few months. After all, Erasmus could be the starting point of what my life could become!

Stefan, Kyle and Klaudio waving goodbye at train station! 
As I said to my friends,  "Das is nicht das Ende, dies ist nur Abschied für jetzt" (This is not the end, this is just farewell for now)

Erasmus 2013, a truly unforgettable experience!
Danke und auf Wiedersehen,

James

References:

  • Suoquai, Q (2011) Liberal Cosmopolitan: Lin Yutand and Middling Chinese Modernity, Hotei Publishing, The Netherlands
  • EC (2013) European Commission: ERASMUS Student Mobility for Studies, available at: http://ec.europa.eu/ [Accessed 29/06/201

No comments:

Post a Comment