Monday 27 May 2013

All-round professional...

Week twelve: 13/05/2013 - 19/05/2013
Professional Development:


The thought of packing my bags and going home really is bizarre! I believe I only have 6 weeks of Erasmus left but it feels like yesterday I was touching down in Linz for the first time! Whilst here in Austria, I feel I have developed in many ways. Amongst other areas I feel I have gained a much more professional grasp of education and how I can become the best teacher that I can possibly be. This is largely down to the modules I have undertaken and teaching I have received and carried out whilst here. 

Presenting to the class...
My modules at university are generally reaching their conclusion. At the minute I am finalising some assignments and portfolios that will help form part of my marks for this semester. One course that springs to mind is Teaching Across Borders (TAB). TAB gives us a chance to mix with Austrian students and express our viewpoints and opinions on many matters. This week for example, I was given the chance to talk about and present my impressions of Linz in both a positive and negative manner. Discussions are always very honest and open and a good debate is hard to beat! 

'Drake the Vampire'
Movie making is another course which I am really enjoying at the moment. Currently we filming a short movie entitles "Drake the Vampire" which basically involves myself putting a lot of make-up on, wearing fangs and covering my face in artificial blood, great fun - minus the makeup! Courses such as this are a great way of expressing and show-casing creativity and having lots of lots of amusement in the process!

Life in the Europaschule is also unfortunately coming to end. This week we were asked to begin the lesson with a short activity. Somehow, I was roped into dressing up like 'Chris Tarrant' and presenting our very own 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire' (Linz style). The children would be brought to the front of the classroom in pairs and be asked a question on Ireland. Each group would be given three lifelines just like the hit TV show, with the soundtrack and images from the show included. The pupils loved the activity and ended answering all of the questions correctly, which meant more sweets for them, which of course meant smiles all round. 
'Chris Tarrant' and some happy contestants...
Enjoying the run..

My week ended in a very enjoyable manner which involved taking part in a 'Fun-Run' which in annual event organised by the Europaschule in order to raise money and awareness for local charities in the area. The whole school, staff and pupils truly entered into the spirit of things and got their running gear on. The day was a real success and I believe lots of money was raised, the weather was beautiful and only added to the occasion. What a day! Who knows, 'Chris Tarrant' could be making a guest appearance at the 'Fun-Run' in 2014!!


Gute Nacht,

James






No comments:

Post a Comment